Staying abroad

As part of being PhD student in Aarhus, you will spend typically four to eight months visiting another research institution to gain experience outside our local environment. Usually, your supervisor helps establish contact to an institution of interest for your studies. If you need to apply for visa, please make sure to do so as early as possible. Inform the PhD manager and GSST contact of your stay abroad; where, how long, address, etc. 

Note that if your host pays you salary during your stay abroad, you must take leave from your PhD studies while you are away. If you wish to apply for an extension of your PhD studies, contact the PhD committee chairman.

Tax deduction

When staying abroad, you may be eligible to a tax deduction for "double housekeeping". See the rules at SKAT (in Danish). The amount is currently 25000 DKK per calendar year (so it may make a difference if your stay spans two calendar years).

Exemption from salaried work while abroad

You may be exempted from some of your salaried work without salary reduction (70 or 140 hours depending on whether the period cover one or two quarters) when studying abroad as described in the Rules for salaried work. On the below flow chart, you can see how the exemption is calculated based on your stay abroad.

Remember to apply for exemption  by sending an email to PhD Administrator Sofia Rasmussen including:

  • information about where you are going
  • the exact period of your stay
  • approval of the stay abroad from your main supervisor and the chair of the PhD committee

Once approved, the hours you will be exempted for will be extracted from your teaching portfolio and you must update your PhD plan.

2045 / i43